Directors of companies need to register for a new identification number called a director identification number (director ID)
This is a unique identifier that a director applies for once and keeps forever.
You’ll need a director ID if you’re a director of:
- a company
- a registered foreign company
- a registered Australian body, or
- an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation.
You can apply for your director ID at Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS). See the link below.
The date by when you need to apply depends on the date you became a director:
- Directors appointed from 1 November 2021 must apply within 28 days.
- Directors appointed on or before 31 October 2021 have until 30 November 2022 to apply.
You need to apply for your director ID yourself.
No one can apply for you.
You do not need a director ID if you’re:
- A company secretary but not a director
- Acting as an external administrator of a company
- Running a business as a sole trader or partnership
- Referred to as a ‘director’ in your job title but have not been appointed as a director under the Corporations Act or the CATSI Act
- A director of a registered charity with an organisation type that is not registered with ASIC to operate throughout Australia
- An officer of an unincorporated association, cooperative or incorporated association established under state or territory legislation, unless the organisation is also a registered Australian body.
Follow these steps to get your registration started:
Now follow the 3 steps listed on this page.
- You firstly need to download the myGOVID app onto your phone. This is not the same as myGOV.
- Then you need to verify your identity with various documents.
- Finally you click on the green “apply now “button to create the director number.
You can watch an explanatory video below from the ATO.
Should you have any questions specific to your situation, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Accolade Accounting on (08) 6263 4466 or (03) 9524 3145 to get further advice.
Step 3 – Download the myGOVID app onto your phone.
Step 4 – Verify your identity with various documents
Step 5 – once verified click on green button below.